I’m a Clunker-holic

| четверг, 20 августа 2009 г.


I can’t say that I pride myself on being a champion of the environment or even really ever going out of my way to save trees, dolphins, owls, or any other limited edition woodland creature. What I can say is that I like old things and by way of that, I’m not someone who buys a lot of new things that consume resources like dolphins, owls, and limited edition woodland creatures. Recently I took a look around and saw just how much of my stuff is second hand. I was totally surprised to find that virtually all of the stuff I really like has been owned by someone else, and more accurately, was once someone’s trash.

That sounds like a nightmare and you’re already getting a mental picture that looks like something out of a horror movie, but hear me out on this. I have decent stuff, it’s used stuff, but it is decent. If the government’s nightmarish “Cash For Clunkers” program were expanded in some Orwellian fashion (and somehow I seem to think that’s something that could actually happen) future hot rodders will not have access to the good junk that I did and that most of us have in our time as tinkering recyclers.

My lawn tractor, a 1970s vintage Wheel Horse, was advertised on CraigsList as scrap metal. Naturally, I was broke at the time. My wife and I had just purchased our house and I had always wanted a lawn tractor. I drove out to find a heap of tractor parts sitting under a tarp in the “seller’s” driveway. After looking it over and judging that at least 75 percent of the parts were there (all the necessary stuff none of those “extra” parts that accumulate while assembling things) I loaded all the pieces into a work van and drove home. In the span of a weekend I had my lawn tractor and in some small way saved a woodland creature by stopping the potential construction of a new tractor that I would have bought. Continue reading at BangShift.com

Barnstormin': I'm a Clunker-holic



Related posts:



Related posts:



0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий